Transparency & Certifications
ECOsurfaces walks the walk by seeking programs and organizations that share its mission to protect the planet. ECOsurfaces is an active member of many organizations, and many of its products have earned third-party certifications for its compliance with rigorous environmental standards.
Environmental Product Declaration
- An Environmental Product Declaration, EPD®, is a verified document that reports environmental data of products based on life cycle assessment (LCA) and other relevant information and in accordance with the international standard ISO 14025 (Type III Environmental Declarations). An EPD is defined by its Product Category Rules (PCR). PCR are documents that define the rules and requirements for EPDs of a certain product category. They are vital for the concept of environmental declarations according to ISO 14025 as they enable transparency and comparability between different EPDs based on the same PCR.
- Several of our products have gone through the rigorous EPD process, including a comprehensive life cycle assessment according to ISO 14040 standards. Our EPDs were prepared by SCS Global Services based on the NSF International Product Category Rule (PCR) for Flooring: Carpet, Resilient, Laminate, Ceramic, Wood. Following completion, our EPDs were externally verified by FFK LTD as conforming to the requirements of ISO 14025:2006 and ISO 21930:2007. This also meets LEED v4 requirements.
Our EPDs can be downloaded below or on SCS Global Services' Green Product Guide.
- Vinyl over Rubber Environmental Product Declaration
- Origins Environmental Product Declaration
- Aurora Environmental Product Declaration
- Rubber Enviromental Product Declaration
Health Product Declaration
Health Product Declarations (HPDs) disclose the potential hazards associated with a building product ingredient. HPDs were created by the Health Product Declaration Collaborative, whom established the Open Standard which consists of a defined format and rules for reporting. Several of our products have version two Health Product Declarations which meet LEED v4 requirements.
- Rubber Health Product Declaration
- Vinyl Over Rubber Health Product Declaration
- Aurora Health Product Declaration
LEED stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design and is an internationally recognized green building program. LEED is a voluntary, consensus-based, market-driven program that provides third-party verification of green buildings. LEED provides building owners and operators the tools they need to immediately impact their building’s performance and bottom line, while providing healthy indoor spaces for a building’s occupants.
Many interior products have the potential to contribute points to LEED; but, since credits are based on the performance of all the products involved in a particular project, there is not one stand-alone product that can guarantee you will obtain LEED credits. It is the combination, and the weight of each, that is critical.
ECOsurfaces products are designed to meet stringent criteria required to help earn points under 2 of the 6 categories of LEED: Material and Resources and Indoor Environmental Quality.
- Cosmos Rx/ Crossings Rx/ Forest Rx/ Infinity Rx/ Strait Rx LEEDv4 Guide
- Aurora LEEDv4 Guide
- ECOsurfaces LEEDv4 Guide
- ECOsilence LEEDv4 Guide
- Wellness LEEDv4 Guide
- Origins LEEDv4 Guide
- ECOfit Turf & ECOfit Turf Plus LEEDv4 Guide
Most ECOsurfaces products are FloorScore certified to qualify for use in high performance schools. The FloorScore program was developed by the Resilient Floor Covering Institute (RFCI) in conjunction with the Scientific Certification Systems (SCS), which tests and certifies flooring as well as flooring adhesives products, and certifies production facilities for compliance with rigorous indoor air quality emission requirements such a CA Section 03150. Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are evaluated using health-based specifications. Flooring and adhesives that earn FloorScore certification qualify for use in high performance schools and office buildings. Products bearing the FloorScore label meet the indoor air emissions criteria of the Collaborative for High Performance Schools (CHPS) and LEED Green Building Rating Systems.
The MindClick Sustainability Assessment Program (MSAP) was created through the Hospitality Sustainable Purchasing Consortium in collaboration with Marriott International, the US Green Building Council, designs firms, purchasing agents, sustainability experts, and 20 global FF&E vendors. MSAP measures environmental and social impacts throughout the product life cycle, providing good, better, best rating using a 200-point scale based on nine metrics.
Certifications and eco-labels provide the proof points. MSAP consolidates the results through ratings, making it easy to compare products and to specify and buy better.
ECOsurfaces Vinyl + Composition Rubber, Calendared Rubber + Composition Rubber, and Composition Rubber have all achieved Leader status.